Most people complain about not having enough storage space at one point or another. In addition to the items that need storage in a house, there are also various tools and equipment that cannot be taken into a house for storage. To avoid subjecting these and other items requiring storage to the elements, building a storage shed makes the most sense. If a storage shed is one of the woodworking projects you are considering, this article discusses how to build a storage shed easy.
You do not need to be highly skilled in woodworking to build a storage shed. All you need is to get your hands on woodworking plans and patterns to guide you on this exciting woodworking project. Shed plans can be obtained anywhere for free or for a small price. Free shed blueprints may be obtained online but you will probably need to have these reviewed by a professional to ensure that they are descriptive enough to allow you to start and finish this project.
Shed plans that are available online for a fee are usually developed by professionals and include everything that you will need for the woodworking projects. They include step by step instructions, materials list, woodworking tools list, type of wood needed and the cuts required for the storage shed, etc.
Shed Building Steps
- In order to build your outdoor storage shed, you will first need to determine the location for the shed. This will usually be based upon how much room you have to work with on your property. Is it going to be free standing or attached to your house?
- To ensure that you will have everything you will need for the woodworking project, professionally drawn up plans will be necessary especially if this is your first woodworking project. From these woodworking patterns and plans, you will have a materials list and the cut sizes for the wood and other materials that you can take to any lumberyard to get the items that you need. The shed plans will also help you determine the tools that you need that you can either purchase or borrow if you do not already have them in your possession.
- A proper foundation for the shed is important and is the difference between a storage shed that will last for many years and one that will easily crumble. Professionally drawn up shed plans will usually include various options for foundations for your wood storage shed that will work such as concrete slab, wood, etc.
- After the foundation for the wood storage shed is laid, the walls will then need to be build per the specifications of the professionally drawn up shed plans. Unless you are adept at using another method, it will probably be best to construct the walls on the ground and then simply lift them into position.
- You will then use the professionally drawn up shed plans for building the roof and the trusses. Once this is completed, the end walls will then need to be built.
- The majority of the work will be completed by this stage. The next step then is to determine the trim for the outdoor storage shed that will complement the wood storage shed as well as your property. You may want to take your time to complete the trim to ensure perfection.
- One of the final steps after the wood trim is to then attach shingles to the roof. Properly treated wood is important for the shingles. Choose protective coating that is guaranteed to last for a long time in addition to protecting the wood from environmental elements. You can stain, paint or varnish this wood for the shingles for your outdoor storage shed.
In a project that combines recycling and repurposing, YouthBuild built a fence from old road signs.
The signs were cut, sanded, filed and drilled to create pickets and I think the finishing result looks great. Instead of just mirroring the road signs, they were broken apart and combined to create a swarm of color and character.
I’d love to do this to my tool shed (if i had tools or a shed, for that matter). The full instructions are over at Instructables but the group that completed the project, YouthBuild, needs your help!
Congress has voted to eliminated YouthBuild’s funding which may cause many YouthBuilds, an organization that provides low-income young people a chance to study for their GED and acquire trade skills, to shut down.
You can sign their petition here.
Let My Shed Plans shed light on your shed-constructing plans!If you don’t consider storage sheds are important, you might want to believe again. Just imagine what it would be like without having a storage shed in your property. You garden resources and supplies would possibly be a clutter and instead of a backyard, you’d have a junkyard. Let’s face it, we all want to have an organized property and as a lot as feasible prevent clutter, correct? That is why we will need storage sheds as they keep your yard resources and supplies safe and secure and prevent cluttering up your garage. With this, you can build your personal storage shed using a shed program like My Shed Plans.
You might think sheds are very easy to construct and that you don’t even will need a shed strategy in order to construct it, but believe me, constructing a shed can be extremely exhausting and stressful and might not be as easy as it appears. As a matter of fact, it consumes very much of a person’s time and energy. So to steer clear of this, shed plans are needed to give you guidance. It’s their primary purpose as plans anyway: to guide and assist the builder finish his shed. With shed plans like My Shed Plans, you can construct your shed in an organized manner resulting into a fast and hassle-totally free shed-building. Come to believe of it, with a shed strategy, all you in fact will need to do is construct. Your brain doesn’t have to go by means of a lot of effort thinking what materials you need, what shed designs to make and how to make it.
Nevertheless, bear in mind also, that an awesome result is only achievable with the use of a excellent shed program like My Shed Plans. Whilst there may possibly be a whole lot of shed plans out there, not all can give you the greatest strategy. The question now is what makes the best shed strategy? What do you have to look for in a shed strategy?
1. A excellent shed program will show the foundation layout, floor strategy, exterior elevations, interior elevations, cross sections, or even stairs depending on what type of shed you are constructing. My Shed Plans offers all the good stuff that you can really see simply because of its fully detailed color illustrations.
2. A good shed strategy lets you know what you have to do next, so you can relax and at the exact same time being in control. A good shed program guides you on selecting which sorts of wood to use and how to rapidly do it. It also offers you a list of equipment that you will need. My Shed Plans offers you these details that make it effortless for you to see exactly what you will need to do and when you require to do it.
3. A great shed plan has do-it-yourself manuals that can supply extra info and techniques on how to develop certain aspects of the shed. With the complete woodworking course of My Shed plans, even if you are inexperienced in woodwork and have by no means built a shed before you are guided in intricate detail. In fact, because of the numerous and efficient strategies of My Shed Plans, an expert can even pick up some of its tips and tricks. To sum up all, building your shed is fun and simple with My Shed Plans!
And with so several styles to choose from, selecting what shed style is right for you is in no way a issue. So, if you are planning to construct a storage shed, make it a point to use the guidance of a excellent shed program. And with this, let My Shed Plans guide you to the finest woodworking knowledge ever!
UNITED KINGDOM: A spate of thefts in several towns and villages in Kent and Surrey over the past few months led to many householders taking action to protect their property.
Some have been warned by police that using wire mesh to reinforce shed windows was ”dangerous” and could lead to criminals claiming compensation if they ”hurt themselves”.
Thieves target sheds to steal lawnmowers, power drills, bicycles and a variety of DIY tools.
Thomas Cooper, of Tatsfield, Surrey, used wire mesh to protect three of his garden sheds after two break-ins over the past four years. He decided to take action after reports of a rise in garden raids in the area.
Mr Cooper said: “I reinforced my shed windows with wire mesh, but was told by the police I had to be very careful because thieves can actually sue you if they get hurt.
”It is ridiculous that the law protects them even though they are breaking it.”
Last month Samantha Cullum, a mother-of-three, of Brasted, near Sevenoaks in Kent, had her whole shed stolen when thieves lifted it on to a lorry.
She said: “We had some tools stolen every now and again, but this time they took the entire shed – I couldn’t believe it.”
Dave Bishop, of Tatsfield, said: “The law is so stupid, and you never know what decision judges are going to make. People do get fed up with these people trying to help themselves to things which you have worked hard to gather together.”
Pc John Lee, a crime reduction officer for Tandridge, said: “We are constantly advising home owners to protect their property and the contents of their shed or garage, however, a commonsense approach needs to be taken.
“To properly secure your sheds, Surrey Police strongly advises people to invest in items such as good-quality locks and bolts, and not to resort to homemade devices, as this could cause injury.”
A police source added: “Homemade devices can cause injury and there have been cases where criminals have sued for injuries they have suffered while committing a criminal act.
”We are advising people to do whatever they can to protect their property, but wire mesh is not one of the suggestions we would make.”
If you are planning on building a storage shed, make sure you do some homework first. If you are a carpenter or experienced handyman you have the advantage over the novice, in a few ways. You will be able to determine what would be best for you, either using a shed kit or building from scratch. With your experience your have more options based on your knowledge.
You novice builders have the same options, but it’s a matter of what would be the best for you. It really would be worth your while to check out the wide range of selections that are available. I know, you really wanted to build this from scratch, and maybe feel like you’re cheating if you use a kit. On the contrary, you are making a wise decision, and besides someone has to still put it together, plus you can customize it. It’s that overall finished look that a person takes pride in, not in how many pieces of wood they had to cut.
These prefab storage units give you many options and have lots of advantages. First of all, you can have a choice of materials such as wood, vinyl or metal. If you were to build the shed from scratch, you probably would only be able to use wood, if you didn’t have any knowledge or tools to work with vinyl or metal. With some shed kits because of the way they are constructed you don’t need to worry to much about insulating, because of the way they are constructed. So that eliminates your problem of having to work with insulations.
If you purchase one of the self locking units, then you don’t have to be concerned about installing rafters, which is great, because it also gives you more usable space on the inside. You never have to worry about warping provided you have put it together properly.
Remember I said that you could accessorize it? In other words add your own creativity to it. For example, you can plan where you want the windows to be. You could even choose to put in skylights which not only is practical ,it modernizes the decor as well. What you want to do, and with what accessories are available to you, depends on the style of shed you are choosing, plus the material. If you are accessorizing, it is usually an added expense.
You will be pleased with how simple it is to erect one of these sheds when you buy the package. There are so many advantages to it. For example.
-All the material comes with it, There’s no running around trying to find everything you need
-You are not restricted to style because of your limited building knowledge
-Your choice of material allows you to choose something that will blend in and enhance your home and property
-They are sturdy, durable and a real bonus is they are maintenance free
-If your needs grow, and you need more storage space then you can either add an addition to the existing one, or purchase another one the same.
-There are no hidden costs. Everything you need is in the package and paid for at the time of purchase., so you know what its going to cost you.
Although remember if you don’t buy one that comes with a base, you will incur extra costs with that, plus don’t forget about the accessories.
For more help check out My Shed Plans